Sunday, October 10, 2010

Eat Pray Love



 I have just finished reading and seeing the feature film of the spectacular book written by Elizabeth Gilbert called Eat Pray Love. I am sure that you all have heard of this amazing book and many of you will know more about it if you see it at the cinemas. I was totally hooked from page 1 and I have found myself reading pages twice or three times over ,totally loosing myself in the world of Elizabeth and her gorgeous journey of self-discovery. The braveness, creativity and flare that is portrayed in this book is contagious and I have learned so much about myself and about life just by reading this stunning novel.

I am a big reader! It is my main hobby! There is nothing I love more than sitting in a lavender bath and loosing myself in a novel. I can read books in a matter of nights and often find myself loosing hours as I read ‘just one more chapter’. This book however has taken me a lot longer than I expected! The book is split into 3 sections…Italy ,India and  Indonesia. The first section – Italy – is very easy to read! It’s very fun and interesting and I learnt a lot about Rome and all its beautiful surroundings and most of all the amazing food! The second section is lot more intense as she travels to India and stays in an Ashram. This part has just absolutely fascinated me and I have found myself reading pages twice or three times over just to understand and take it all in. By the 2 page of section 2 I took out the highlighter. I loved learning about Yoga and its teachings and methods and how the devotees to this Yogi tradition practiced this wonderful  meditation. I have highlighted different quotes that she has written. Descriptions of places, people and things at the Ashram.  Information about Yoga and its teachings. All the things that I loved learning and never want to forget! I would like to share some of these with you that I have just found so fascinating. They are just so inspirational.

It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.
Yoga is to find – between mind and body, between the individual and her God.
You are what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.
You should never give yourself a chance to fall apart because, when you do, it becomes a tendency and it happens over and over again. You must practice staying strong instead.
A true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.
As soul mate will tear down your walls and smack you awake.
You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughtta be.
 There’s no trouble in this world so serious that it can’t be cured with a hot bath, a glass of whiskey and the Book of Common Prayer.
Most of humanity, he said, have eyes that are so caked shut with the dust of deception they will never see the truth, no matter who tries to help them.
You have no idea how strong my love is.
The Zen masters always say that you cannot see your reflection in running water, only in still water.
In our real lives we are constantly hopping around to adjust ourselves around discomfort – physical, emotional and psychological – in order to evade the reality of grief and nuisance.
Eventually everything goes away.
Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face –first and full speed into the dark.
Destiny I feel is also a relationship – a play between divine grace and willful self effort. Half of it you have no control over; half of it is absolutely in your hands, and your actions will show measurable consequence.
I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore.
As smoking to the lungs so is resentment to the soul.
Over the centuries people have tried to hold on to that blissful state of perfection through all sorts of external means – through drugs and sex and power and adrenaline and the accumulation of pretty things – but it doesn’t keep.
Your treasure – your perfection – is within you already. But to claim it you must leave the busy commotion of the mind and abandon the desires of the ego and enter into the silence of the heart.
Happiness is the consequence of personal effort
We must get our hearts broken sometimes. Having a broken heart means we have tried for something.

This book and movie was just so inspirational for me. As I said before I have leaned so much about myself from this novel and have been inspired to live my life differently. The past few years I did a lot of blaming, making a lot of excuses, I had a lot of negativity in my life which effected my happiness. I feel I have had two big influences that have helped me turn the corner. The book ‘Eat Pray Love’ and my blog. The book has taught me how to be happy and what the true meaning of life is and my blog has helped me to sort out my thoughts and feelings and truly appreciate life and its beauty. The negativity has lifted and I find I am constantly surrounding myself with beauty and looking beyond the shallowness of the world. We are so lucky to live in this gorgeous world and I am amazingly lucky to have such an amazing husband, a handful of genuine friends and a one of a kind family. I cherish every part of my world and I feel I am very lucky. Life is so special. 
x S.K.K x

No comments: