Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Greener Cleaner

Firstly...


~ YUUUUUMMMMMMMM ~

One of the biggest things I love about Spring/Summer are all the yummy fruits that come into season! This was my first Mango and oh my gosh it tasted just as good as it looks! I am also excited about peaches and nectarines but at $13.99 a kilo I am going to wait a few weeks before I tuck into those!

My Yukky Experience


The other day I cleaned out my oven...this does not happen often however I put some time aside, got out my 'oven cleaner' and got to work! OH MY GOSH I am surprised I am still alive! I forgot how terribly potent that cleaner is and how strong it is! Yes it cleaned my oven but I think it also cleaned my insides out...and not in a good way...SO I aired out my kitchen and finally got rid of the smell that had my eyes watering. Tonight when I used my oven the smell was so strong still and made me sick to my stomach.  It got me thinking! What on earth do they put in these products that make them so horribly potent that we can not even breath or see when using them. They surely can not be ANY good for us... so why do we use them???

This got me searching, researching and learning about alternate, greener and safer cleaning products for around the home, instead of using those god awful CHEMICALS that are surely eating away at our insides every time we use them. Over the past few months I have started the process of changing over all of my beauty items to all hand made and natural products. (You can read about these gorgeous products and the store I am in love with here.) I do not know why it never occurred to me not to look into changing my cleaning products as well. My research has presented some interesting arguments...both for and against unfortunately but the positive surely does outweigh the negative. The main negative feedback was that all the "market products" have been trialed and tested where as the "alternate cleaners" haven't and they question weather they are actually cleaning the germs etc properly. After the horrible experience I had with my oven cleaner...I am willing to take the risk I think. Most of the 'recipes' use 6 basic ingredients which can most likely be found in your household kitchen pantry. Baking soda, lemon, soap (which I am a little hesitant about using but hey it can't be any worse than my oven cleaner I guess), borax, white vinegar and cornstarch. The recipes range from glass cleaner to multi-purpose cleaners, to dish washing cleaners and even air fresheners. I think I am going to give this a whirl and try and change my whole house over to 'greener cleaners' It will take time and a lot of trial and error but I think in the long run it will be so beneficial to my husbands and my health and we will have a safe and green home to welcome our children into.

Are you a supermarket brand cleaner or have you tried a greener cleaner???
Do they work? Are they safe? Do you have any advice?
I'll keep you all updated on how I go!
Have a beautiful Friday everyone - The weekend is almost here!

x S.K.K x

1 comment:

Sarah said...

had my first mango of the season today and it was delicious...shame it was raining though! didn't seem right eating mango's in the rain...
Happy weekend Sarah
x