Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Memo from Your Child

Dear Mum and Dad

Please help me to love myself.

Don't spoil me. I know quite well that I shouldn't have all that I ask for. Im only testing you - but please give me the discipline I need!

I need my sense of dignity, so please don't belittle me in front of people. I'll take more notice if you talk to me with as much repect as you give to your best grown up friends.

Don't ridicule me or imply that my inappropriate behavious means that I am bad. It erodes my sense of worthiness.

Dont be too upset when sometimes I say 'I hate you' It isnt you I hate but your power over me.

Please be patient with me, I may be a late bloomer.

When you have a bad day, please don't take your fristrations out on me.

Please don't shout or nag. If you do I shall have to protect myself by appearing to be deaf.

Please help me feel good about myelf by telling me of the good things about myself more often than you tell me of the things you don't like.

Don't bride me or make rash promises. Remember that I feel badly let down when promises are broken.

Dont be inconsistent. That completly confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.

The more you give me the safety to expose my true feelings, the more of my inner beauty I will risk showing. 

Don't tell me my fears are silly. They are terribly real and you can do much to reassure me if you try to understand. 

Don't ever think that it is beneath your dignity to apologise to me. An honest apology makes me feel suprisingly warm towards you.

Please praise and acknowledge me for who I am and not for the things I do, for then I will grow up without the stress of camparing and competing.

Please keep reminding me that I am basically good and capable and worthwhile, so I can grow up loving and accepting myself.

Don't forget that I can't thrive without a lot of love and understanding...

Love me x

P.s I love you and I don't expect you to be perfect either.

~ Something for us all to keep in the backs of our minds ~

x S.K.K x

No comments: